2.16.2011

S.J.R. 7



I first started devopling noticable symptoms of Fibromyalgia in 2001. It wasn't til 2006 that I was actually diagnosed, and I'm still working with my doctors to try and find a working system to manage the symptoms. For years I had doctors, friends, coworkers and strangers tell me that it was in my head. That I was just lazy or unambitious or not trying hard enough. They told me I had just pulled a muscle or something the day before; to take some IB Profin and I'd be fine. They told me to just push through it. They told me it was in my head and that I was a hypochondriac and that I just wanted attention. They told me there was nothing really wrong.

Every time a single person acknowledges that the condition is real, it fills me with joy knowing that they at least believe me. When someone tells me that they suffer from it, or know someone who does, I feel so gratified knowing that someone understands what I have to live with. There are 10 million sufferers in the country, and 57,000 of us in the state of Utah.

State Joint Resolution 7 was introduced during the 2011 Legislative Session, proposing that May 12th would be declared Fibromyalgia Awareness Day in Utah. I had my fingers crossed so tight hoping they would approve it. I figured there was no reason not to considering it wouldn't really cost anything; the State really has nothing to lose by doing this.

Well this morning I looked up it's progress and found that my new friend S.J.R. 7 has passed all the votes, and is sitting on the Governor's desk waiting to be signed! I actually started crying when I read it.

There is something so powerful about having people understand and admit that the pain you feel every moment is real. I can't even describe how I feel right now. You'd better bet that come May 12th, I'll be decked out in PURPLE!

No comments: