2.21.2012

Settling In

I've been meaning to update my blog for about the last 4 or 5 days, but every time I think about it, I'm just too darn tired! I guess this is what motherhood is all about! It was actually a smooth transition bringing Evelyn home from the NICU and getting her settled in at home. While she does sleep in our bedroom, she's in a bassinet and not with us, and since she got used to a bassinet in the NICU she doesn't have any problem sleeping there. She sleeps really soundly (almost NOTHING will wake her up unless she's hungry!) and she worked herself onto a 4-hour feeding schedule, which lets me get a little extra sleep in between each feeding! I don't know how I'm going to manage being so exhausted when I go back to work, but for now it's all kinda working out.

She's still so little, and a lot of the newborn-sized clothes we have are too big for her. It's so funny to put on a little onesie and see her absolutely swimming in it! On the plus side, she has ALMOST outgrown the premie sized diapers, so we can start using all the newborn size we had stocked up!


Evelyn also had her two-week checkup last week. Her bilirubin hadn't rebounded, so we didn't have to have her readmitted to the hospital, which I was SO thankful for. Also, she had gained weight, from 5 pounds 9 ounces up to 6 pounds 1 ounce! In the 8 days in between her doctors appointments she had gained 8 ounces! I was so proud of her. She's growing so well. And her hair is growing too-it's getting so long!

The dogs have completely adopted her. Bowser is fascinated with her (as long as there's no food in the vicinity, then he doesn't care that she exists). But Daivi, the German Shepherd, has decided that Evie is HIS baby and HIS job and he spends most of his time staring at her making sure nothing is wrong. And he's obsessed with her feet. He loves licking them.


And Bowser has been INCREDIBLY gentle with her, and he is by no means a gentle or subtle creature. Everything he does is over the top, because he's so much larger than he thinks he is. So it's so nice to see him actually being gentle.

Her nursery isn't finished yet. We thought we had another 5 weeks, and since she got home we've been focused on her, but when it is finished, I'll be sure to post pictures!

I've been having some trouble emotionally adjusting to her being here. I won't go into detail here, but I've really been struggling. My doctor put me on a (necessary) medication, but now I'm no longer allowed to breastfeed, which has made me just feel worse. But I know I can't take care of my child unless I take care of myself too, so I have to do what I have to do to make sure I'm healthy. But I have a great support system, and things are looking up. My daughter is absolutely beautiful, and healthy, and I couldn't ask for more than that.

No comments: