5.21.2013

Run

Evelyn was sitting on Spencer's lap the other day and she leaned over and pulled a book off the bookshelf. The book she had chosen is called Run: 26.2 stories of Bilsters and Bliss. It was given to Spencer as a birthday gift by his brother Jeremy who runs marathons and ultra marathons (50 miles and longer). It's a book about running and at the same time not; overcoming challenges in general and the satisfaction that brings. What was significant was that when Evelyn opened it Spencer noticed for the first time that not only was it signed by the author, but it was made out TO Spencer with the inscription "Never be afraid to give up good to go for great."

Those words have been stuck in my head for days. It also makes me think of something I read on Pinterest the other day: You can't spell 'challenge' without 'change'" Those two sayings combined make me think of a trapeze artist. She must let go of the first bar and for a split second hang free in the air, and experience the fear of falling, before she can grab on to the next one. I feel like I'm at a point in my life where I've just let go of that first bar. For a minute I thought I was going to fall. But that second bar is in sight. I'm flying through the air but I'm in prime position to grab on tight.

No comments: