11.29.2008

Life is Wonderful

I'm sure there are a few people who are going to say that I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" and will probably change my perspective in a couple years. I find it unhealthy to think that if I'm excited or satisfied or content or happy with my life now, that just means that my perspective on life is somehow skewed and that it will be "fixed" in a couple years. And, quite frankly, if that is true, then I find that all the more reason to enjoy these feelings while they last.

I feel so incredibly blessed. My husband is so wonderful, and we have such a great relationship. We are able to be completely honest with each other, and can work through any issues without getting defensive or attacking the other. We have everything we need to get by each month; enough to put into savings and enough left over to give us most of what we want. I have a wonderful family. I feel like in the last few years I have learned a lot about life; there is so much joy to be had from it. Things don't matter. We could have a small apartment or a mansion; a giant tv or none at all; all the toys in the world or just each other. It doesn't matter because when we die, we don't get to take it with us. It seems like there's no point in making attachments to superficial, temporary things. What matters are the lessons we learn from life, how we treat people, and, most importantly, the relationships we form with those we love.

I have a wonderful relationship with my husband and I feel like that's all I really need to be happy in life. He takes wonderful care of me. When Spence and I were in a pre-marital communication class, they told us something we hadn't thought of (actually lots of things, but one thing in particular that I kept with me): That marriage isn't about each person giving 50/50, or one giving more or less so you meet in the middle. It's about each person giving 100% every day. And some days that's not possible; you just can't do it. But it's important to keep that perspective. Even if the other person isn't giving 100%, you still need to try. I don't feel the need to be famous or rich or to do something grand and important in my life. I'm already doing something important because I'm important to him. He loves me. And that's really all that matters.

1 comment:

Savannah said...

Wow Caitie! I really love your thoughts in this post. I'm glad that you and Spencer are so happy together! What a great perspective to have! :)