2.21.2009

Food Co-op

Ok I have totally fallen in love with the Food Cooperative of Utah. It's an organization that takes orders for food shares and buys the food in bulk so you get really good prices on packages. You have to order early in the month and then you pick up your food on like the third saturday. But it is absolutely awesome! I picked up my food today and was just astounded by what I got. Here's the list:

1 lb chicken breasts
1 lb beef stew meat
1 lb pork spare ribs
1 lb lean ground beef
1 5-lb bag red potatoes
6 oranges
6 apples
1 bundle green onions
1 head red leaf lettuce
3 artichokes
1 package mushrooms
8 kiwi

I also got another nut sample package:

1 lb whole roasted cashews
1 lb raw almonds
1 lb sunflower seeds
1 lb dried pineapple

the packages change every month depending on what's in season and what they can get, but it mixes it up so you get variety. You know how much I paid for all this? $33! That's right! I'm so amazed by how much I got. If you're interested, go to this website:

Utah Food Co-Op

you can order by fax, mail or over the phone. The people are all volunteers and they're super nice. All you do is order by the deadline, and pick it up on the day they tell you. And there's a couple dozen different pick-up sites in the valley so you can pick one closest to you. It's just awesome!

No comments: